Former Parks Air Force Base (AFB) was used by the U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, and U.S. Air Force at various times between 1943 to 1973. In 1943, the area called Camp Parks, Camp Shoemaker and the U.S. Naval Hospital Shoemaker were established by the U.S. Navy, and operated as “Fleet City” during World War II. Since 1980, much of the original property has been operating as an active U.S. Army Reserve Forces Training Area. Between 1957 and 1972, various portions of the former Parks AFB were transferred to multiple private and municipal land owners.
This project is focused only on the FUDS eligible properties that were transferred to local or private entities prior to October 1986.
This phase of the project is specifically focused on two Areas of Interest (AOIs), located in the NE corner of the largest FUDS eligible property, as recommended during an earlier phase of the Former Parks AFB FUDS environmental investigation:
- AOI 23: Camp Shoemaker Burn Pit – an open space area that is located on the Alameda County Sheriff's Training Center
- AOI 28: Hickman Road Sanitary Fill Area – an area currently used for motorcycle training by the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office