image - Emergency Operations vehicle

When Disaster Strikes

Whenever and wherever disaster strikes, many federal, state and local agencies rely upon the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to provide an extensive range of expertise:

  • Engineering and construction support
  • Debris management
  • Critical infrastructure assessment
  • Temporary repairs
  • Temporary housing or facilities installation.

The Corps stands ready in any disaster to execute a broad portfolio of missions in order to sustain lives, support critical infrastructure needs and set conditions for recovery.

Linked Nationally to Respond Locally

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is prepared and ready to respond as part of the federal government’s unified national response to disasters and emergencies.

In any disaster, USACE’s top priorities are:

  • Save lives and protect property;
  • Support immediate emergency response priorities for USACE, DoD, FEMA and the Federal Government.

During natural disasters and other emergencies, USACE can respond under its own authority, Public Law 84-99; as a component of the Department of Defense; and as the designated lead agency in support of FEMA for Emergency Support Function Number 3, Public Works and Engineering (ESF #3.)

 More information about our nationally-aligned mission -- USACE Headquarters

Planning, Training, Acting, Repeat ...

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All
 How would the Sacramento District Corps of Engineers help should a major earthquake or flood occur in this area?
Emergency preparedness and response is primarily a state and local government responsibility. However, in instances where the severity of the event exceeds the response capability of state and local government, the Corps can provide help to save human life, prevent immediate human suffering and property damage.
 What type of assistance can the Corps provide?
At the request of state or local government the Sacramento District can, under Corps authority, provide technical advice and assistance, undertake emergency repairs to flood control projects, assist in search and rescue operations and furnish equipment for local flood fighting.
 If I have a flooding problem, what should I do?
You should first contact your city or county emergency management officials to determine what type of assistance is available at the local level. They will in turn request assistance from the state if necessary. If the state lacks the resources to correct the emergency, the state can request assistance from the Corps.
 Is there an office to contact at the Sacramento District for additional information?
The Readiness Section of the Sacramento District is available to answer any additional questions you may have. The Readiness Section also maintains an Emergency Operations Center.
 EMAIL the Sacramento Readiness Section
 How can I determine if I am located in a flood prone area and subject to major flooding?
Check the FEMA website to find information on flood zones in your area.
 Where can I get flood insurance information?
The National Flood Insurance Program is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Information can be obtained by contacting their Region IX office for California, Nevada and Arizona; and the Region VIII office for Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming.
 What type of assistance will the Corps provide in a major disaster?
If a major disaster is declared by the President, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will activate the National Response Framework. Under this plan the Corps is responsible for response and recovery operations for Emergency Support Function #3, Public Works and Engineering. The Sacramento District would function as project manager under mission assignment from FEMA for debris removal, infrastructure assessment, emergency power, temporary roofing and critical public facility construction.