Sacramento District Header Image


Home > Media > Fact Sheets > Fact Sheet Article View

Latest Fact Sheets

Contract awards come fast and furious as fiscal year 2016 wraps up

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District moved into high gear, awarding 179 contracts worth more than $122 million in September to close out the fiscal year. Overall in FY 2016, the Sacramento District awarded 849 actions worth more than $404 million, including $258.5 million for military construction projects.
Published: 10/6/2016

Corps awards $5.6 million contract for Hill Air Force Base flight simulator

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District awarded a $5.6 million construction contract on August 24 to small business Provo Wasatch JV, LLC of Orem, Utah, for the second phase of construction of an F-35 Flight Simulator at Hill Air Force Base.
Published: 8/29/2016

Corps awards $81 million for Common Mission Control Center at Beale AFB

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District awarded an $81 million contract Sept. 18 to Walsh Federal JV of Chicago for construction of the Common Mission Control Center at Beale Air Force Base near Marysville, California.
Published: 9/28/2015

Army Corps awards $3.2 million for MOTCO engineering, maintenance shop

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District awarded a $3.2 million contract Sept. 18 to Federal Solutions Group, Inc. of Dublin to construct an engineering and housing maintenance shop at Military Ocean Terminal Concord, better known as MOTCO.
Published: 9/19/2014

Army Corps awards $32.9 million contract for new Defense Logistics Agency distribution center

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District awarded a $32.9 million contract Sept. 5 to Gilbane Federal of Walnut Creek to build a general purpose warehouse for the Defense Logistics Agency at the Defense Distribution Depot in Tracy.
Published: 9/10/2014

How to file a claim for injury or damage caused by Corps personnel or contractor

Bookmark and Share Email Print

If you believe that you have been injured or your property has been damaged by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers personnel or one of our contractors, you should immediately report the incident to a Corps construction representative or contact the Corps’ general number at 916-557-5100. 

Once notified, the Corps will determine if a Corps or contractor employee was involved in the incident.  If it is determined that a Corps contractor was involved, the contractor’s name and address as well as their insurance provider’s name and address will be provided for resolution of your claim.   If you do not receive a response from the contractor or their insurance provider within 30 days, inform the Corps immediately. 

Upon receipt of notice that you have not received a response from the contractor or their insurance provider, the Corps will investigate the claim and attempt to determine the cause of the injury or damage.  If the Corps determines that our contractor is at fault or otherwise liable for your injury, the Corps will attempt to withhold contract payments in the amount of the claim.  If withholding is not considered permissible, payable claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) will be forwarded, including all pertinent data concerning contribution or indemnity in the file, to the Commander for the United States Army Claims Service for disposition.  If it’s determined that the contractor may not be held liable, the Corps will notify you of its decision and inform you of your right to file a claim against the Corps or file suit against the contractor.

You may be entitled to payment of your claim against the Corps under the FTCA if the Corps’ Claims Officer determines that the cause of your injury or property damage was caused by the negligent act(s) of a Corps employee. In order to file a claim under the FTCA, you must submit a Standard Form 95 (SF 95) within two years from the date of the incident to the U.S. Army Engineer District, Sacramento. 

The SF 95 must indicate the date and location at which the alleged negligent act occurred and the specific dollar amount you are claiming from the government. Claims should describe the damage, and how you claim the damage or injury occurred (i.e., what acts of a government employee occurred that caused the damage for which compensation is sought). Claimants should submit information such as medical records, estimates of repair, etc., as well as any other documentation that would help support the claim.

The Corps has six months from the date it receives your claim to investigate and adjudicate the claim.  In order to pay you for your loss or damage, the Corps’ Claims Officer must determine that your loss or injury was caused by the negligent act of a Corps employee working within the scope of their employment.  Under the FTCA, the United States is liable in the same manner and to the same extent as a private individual under like circumstances, but is not liable for interest prior to judgment or for punitive damages. Federal courts have jurisdiction over such claims, but apply the law of the state where the act or omission occurred. Thus, both federal and state law may impose limitations on liability.

Once a decision is made, you will be notified of the results.  It is possible that, if warranted, an administrative settlement could be negotiated with you, the claimant. It is also possible that the claim could be denied.  If denied, you may file a lawsuit in U.S. District Court.  A lawsuit however, cannot be filed against the United States during the six month period the Corps has to investigate and adjudicate the claim.

civil works Claims construction contractor counsel Federal Tort Claims Act personal injury property damage sacramento district U.S. Army Corps of Engineers