Section 595 - Rural Utah

The rural Utah Environmental Infrastructure and Resource Protection and Development Program was authorized in the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year (FY) 2004, Section 595 of the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 1999.  The rural Utah Program authorizes the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) up to $50M to provide design and construction assistance to non-Federal interests for carrying out water‑related environmental infrastructure and resource protection and development projects in specific geographic areas in the rural counties of Utah, defined in the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year (FY) 2004. 

Projects may include renovation or construction of wastewater treatment and related facilities, drinking water supply and related facilities, environmental restoration, and surface water resource protection and development.

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All
 How do I initiate a project?

The non-Federal rural Utah entity (County, township, municipal government, General Improvement District, etc.) submits a request letter to the USACE Program Manager at:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers,
533 W. 2600 S., Suite 150
Bountiful, UT 84010
Attn: Rural Utah 595 Program Manager
Fax:  (801) 295-8842

It is recommended that a copy be furnished to your U.S. legislator (Congressman Bishop, Matheson, or Chaffetz and Senators Hatch and Bennett).  This letter should contain, at a minimum, a brief overview of the project, an estimate of how much the project is going to cost for design and for construction, a preliminary schedule and an estimate of how much money you are requesting be provided from USACE.  If there are available funds, USACE will initiate a draft Project Partnership Agreement.  This will include a project scope, cost and schedule.

 How are projects considered?
USACE does not budget for this program each year.  Our funding is provided solely by Congressional appropriations. 
The Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 2005 provided initial funds for USACE to begin the program.  Communities in all “Rural” counties of the state are eligible for consideration (except St. George City which was deemed urban).  Being a program to specifically assist Rural Utah communities, all cities within Salt Lake, Utah, Davis and Weber Counties are not eligible. Congress has chosen to identify the
locations for which these funds should be used and USACE is implementing the program consistent with their direction.
 How can I request reimbursement?
The non-Federal sponsor will submit  reimbursement request packages that will contain a letter request for reimbursement and a simple reimbursement request form; a copy of the contract with supporting scope of work and award amounts and any modifications to the contract documents.  If the invoice is for partial completion of products required under the contract, then a letter acknowledging the percentage completion of the work that the payment represents; copies of the contractor invoices and copies of the non-Federal sponsor payment records.  This will include any cancelled checks or other proof of payment to contractor invoices, and/or Sponsor staff.
 What is a PPA?
A Project Partnership Agreement (PPA) is a legally binding agreement between the Federal government and a non-Federal entity that recites items of local cooperation and the cost sharing requirements necessary for the Federal Government to undertake water resources projects. For the rural Utah program, there are three types of standard or “model” PPA’s; 1) for design only, 2) for construction only and 3) for design and construction.
 What is the process for signing a PPA?
Model PPA’s are drafted between the project non-Federal sponsor and the USACE district overseeing the project. 
The USACE district project manager will route a draft PPA package for signature by the District Office of Counsel, to show proof of financial capability by the non-Federal Sponsor and the District Engineer.  This draft PPA Package is then sent to the USACE South Pacific Division office in San Francisco for policy review and approval.  Once approved, the non-Federal Sponsor will sign four (4) PPAs and forward to the USACE for final signature by the District Engineer in Sacramento.  The PPA will then be dated and this becomes the official date when the project can start.
 How are the projects cost shared

Federal assistance for design and construction of Section 595 projects are in the form of reimbursements. 

The non-Federal sponsor will contribute 25 percent of the total project cost.  The non-Federal sponsor shall receive credit for the reasonable costs of design work completed for the project, prior to entering into an agreement with the Government. 

The non-Federal sponsor is responsible for providing all lands, easements, rights-of-way, and relocations (LERR) required for the project and for obtaining any necessary permits. The non-Federal sponsor shall receive credit for the value of such LERR's and the cost of obtaining permits toward its share of project costs, but not to exceed 25 percent of the total costs of the project.  The non-Federal sponsor will be responsible for 100 percent of the operation, maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, and replacement costs associated with a completed construction project.

Contact Information

For more information on the
Rural Utah, Section 595 Program,
please contact us at the following:

801-294-7033 ext 1


Mailing Address:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers,
Sacramento District
Attn: Rural Utah Program Manager
533 W 2600 S, Suite 150B
Bountiful, UT  84010